What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, April 29, 2012

I Don't Know...

I DO know that E.L. Konigsburg is a very well-respected and acclaimed author.  I do not know why The Mysterious Edge of the Heroic World is just so...I don't know...disagreeable.  I've tried reading From the Mixed Up Files... and A View from Saturday but I couldn't get very far in either of them, but I know people love them.  I don't know any kids who love them, but a lot of adults do.  I DID love Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley and Me, Elizabeth when I was young, and I will read it again to see if I still do because I just don't know what is my deal with Konigsburg.  This book wasn't terrible, I just don't think it was interesting.  And I don't think that a kid would like it.  I don't even want to really write about it because I got so so sick of listening to it that I am just so tired of it.  It's the story of a kid who moves to Florida from NYC and befriends an old lady who is selling her house and the son of the woman who is handling her estate.  There's a lot of very interesting history here as the story weaves its way around and is tied to Sheboygan Wisconsin, the so-called Degenerate Art as proclaimed by Nazi dirtbags, and scumbag former Nazis like Ivan the Terrible and Kurt Waldheim.  So I liked the history, and I liked the adult characters of Mrs. Wilcox and Mrs. Vanderwal, and I liked Willie, the main character's friend.  But the main character himself, Amedeo, was kind of one dimensional.  It was just a weird book, I thought and I don't know how I could recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment