What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Here's the Thing...

I read the other reviews of Popcorn Days and Buttermilk Nights, and a coupe are not positive.  These are the ones from folks who had to read it for summer reading for school.  I have to say I agree with them, if that is why they had to read it.  I loved this book.  I did.  But I look for certain things in a book, I am very picky reader.  I love Minnesota.  I love a book that takes me to another place, shows me another way of living.  That's what this book does.  Set during WW2, Corey is sent from Minneapolis to live with his uncle and his family in a small town in the north woods, I think it is Northome, but I am not positive as an alternative to reform school.  Life is like night and day and Corey changes during his stay there.  It is beautiful, short, coming of age story and I just loved it.  But I can see why kids might not.  Unless they are in the same situation as Corey or live in and love Minnesota.

No comments:

Post a Comment