What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Your best night?

When you get to be my age, you wonder if you've never had The Best Night of Your (Pathetic) Life, or if you did and you just forgot about it. I do think one of the best nights I've ever had was one New Year's Day when Joanie and my buddy, Donna and I went to Mt. Washington to look at the city. It was so warm that day! And we went to a laser show at the Science Center and we just did random strange things.
Another best night was when I went to this strange country dance place, which used to be called Ghost Riders, but it now, apparently, Ghost Riders 2 with my Bethel Park buddies and when we got there, no one was there but like two people, and we ended up eating in a place called Garfield's and then we went to the North Park Clubhouse and did Dance, Dance Revolution.
And finally, one of the other best night's of my life was the night, like in the book, when Sharon, Crazy Lynn and Noreen and I did the North Park Lounge's Scavenger Hunt.  It was awesome.  We had to drive to the North Park Deck House, which I think now is the Cabana Bar,  and bury someone in the sand, we had to make team shirts and buy diapers and all kinds of bizarre things.  No we didn't win, but we had a great time.
Before that, I had put together some scavenger hunts for work and I still do today.  I got the idea because when Donna was in high school, she did one, much like the one in this book.  You had a weekend to do calculus problems, video your team on horses, and all kinds of cool things.  It was really a great idea.
That's why I liked this book a lot.  It was a lot of fun to remember my own scavenger hunt days and think of the one I'll put together this summer.
This is the story of Mary and her four friends and Mary's serious determination to win the Senior Week Scavenger Hunt.  She has always been, what she considers to be, an Also-Ran.  She considers this her big chance to get back at a big meanie jock, too.   Mary is totally unlikeable, but human.  The book moves so quickly and I really did like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment