What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

I Love Jim Collins

When I first read Good to Great, man I just fell in love with Jim Collins.  The book really helped me a lot in a lot of ways.  I found Great By Choice and loved it, too.
This book, just like GTG has tons of great stories and very practical information  regarding how to lead a team.  Everyone should read this book and they will like it because it is written so well and in a very interesting way, not like nonfiction at all!
First I think it is a good idea to read GTG.  Then this book, which talks about what makes some companies succeed in our changing and chaotic world.
Some people make fun of Jim Collins and say his books are too simple or that they look back too much or whatever.  I think that this is just ridiculous.  I mean, if you just TRY some of the stuff in Collins' books, you will see that they work.  Plus, Collins isn't pretended to be come magic man.  People who just want "the answer" are probably looking for a quick save or an easy way out.  They aren't going to make it.  Collins' books are painstakingly researched and very readable.
In this book he has 10X companies- companies that showed more than 10 times a greater return in the stock market for thirty years and analyses what they did differently from comparison companies.  If you want to complain about his research or his books, write your own.  And send me a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment