What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, January 14, 2013

um yeah, it's sad!

 When I decided to read The Only and Only Ivan I asked my friend Dolores if the book was sad.  She said no!  She lied!  The book was super sad!  But how could I not think it would be sad because it is about one of those zoo-type attractions that don't care for their animals at all.  I mean, what was I thinking?!?!  Still, even though this was a tough-truth book was very beautiful and well worth the read and the sadness!  Ivan lives in a circus attraction off of a major highway with a stray dog, and an elephant named Stella.  He doesn't remember much about his life before captivity, but he does feel lonely sometimes.  Stella does remember her life before and longs to be free, but pretty much believes she never will be.  One day a baby elephant named Ruby comes to join the show.  Ruby is innocent and sweet and kind and Ivan and Stella are determined to help her not live the trapped life that they have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment