What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

When the Moon Comes Over the Mountian

My grandma, my mom's mom, we lived with her while I was growing up.  She and I were quite the buddies.  A great pair.  She really loved me and I really loved her.  My grandma was awesome.  But man, she couldn't really sing.  And she didn't sing, but sometimes she sang, "When the Moon Comes Over the Mountain" but just the title and the lines that followed, "every beam brings a dream dear of you" and something about strolling through the mountain.  It was by Kate Smith.  Who I have never heard of, apart from my grandma talking about her.  In fact, listening to the youtube video, it is the first time I've heard the song!
Of course, this song came to me when I thought about the book Where the Mountain Meets the Moon.  When this book came out, it started the Great Kate Smith Resurgence of 2009.  So that explains that!
I loved WTMMTM.  I was told that I would and I did.  I am big fan of Grace Lin, of course, and so I thought I would love it.  Lin mixes Chinese folk tales with her own story of a little girl who goes off on an adventure to change the fortune of her family.  On her way she meets a dragon and a lot of other cool characters.  Great and beautiful story.  Thank you, Ms. Lin for another awesome book!

No comments:

Post a Comment