What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Hmm...

I am not sure how I feel about The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (as it is titled in the US.  It is spelled Pyjamas in the author's native Ireland).  Maybe that is a sign of a good book.  It is praised by many and vilified by many.  It has become a movie.  I just don't know.  It is the story of a young boy who is the son of a Commandant in Hitler's army.  His father is sent to Aushchwitz to take charge of the death camp.  The boy, Bruno, doesn't know anything about Aushchwitz and even calls Hitler, The Fury, rather than Feuhrer, further showing his ignorance of the evils of the Nazis.  The boy is clueless.  He befriends a Jewish boy who is imprisoned in the camp and they meet every day at the fence.
The thing is, the critics of the book say that there is no way that the German people were this ignorant of what was going on in Germany.  I just don't know how I feel about it.  I look at it with the same icky feeling that I had about Life is Beautiful, and it's light treatment of the Holocaust.  And also, The Book Thief, which I just can't finish.  I just don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment