What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

One of those giant books that aren't really giant


My friend Dolores pulled Love and Leftovers off the shelf on Monday and said that she had heard good things about it.  I looked at it and even though I needed a book, it just looked so giant!!!  432 pages!  But then we opened it up and saw that it was written in verse!  Hooray! 
And I am so glad it was written in verse, because I like books written in verse, and this one was really good and original.  It also will be one that is very easy to recommend.  AND it is half in Idaho and half in New Hamphsire.  Well I already had New Hampshire, but not Idaho!
Marcie's father has just announced to his family that he is gay and has a boyfriend and Marcie's mother is devastated and she and Marcie are staying in New Hampshire at their summer home.  Marcie's mom pretty much falls apart.  Marcie's dad and his boyfriend are totally good guys, but it is still weird for Marcie, plus, she is halfway across the country now, away from her friends and her boyfriend Linus and she is so so lonely.  The story deals with love, sexuality, depression, all kinds of things, in a really spot-on way.  Very readable.  Great characters.  Easy to feel for them all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment