What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Tough One

Kindness for Weakness was an eARC I received through netgalley and one I thoroughly enjoyed. I blew through it quickly because it was one of those books that sucks you in right away, with a main character, James, who is completely real and sympathetic.
James has a mother who never should have been a mother: she is a drunk and lives with an abusive jerk who beats her and James both. He has an older brother, a poser-creep drug dealer who drags James into his dealing. James ends up getting busted and most of the book takes place in the juvie hall, where James is doing time.
The book is so realistic and full of just the right amount of action and reflection. A perfect combo that will keep serious readers interested and attract reluctant readers as well. A heart-breaking and real story. Loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment