What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Not Easy

Life isn't easy.  I have friends who say that life is wonderful and all that.  I am thankful for my life.  But I know that I am in the world, but not of the world.  And man, I can't wait until that glorious day when I see my Savior.  Life is never easy for the folks in Jacqueline Woodson's books.  Because she writes just the way that life is.  I don't know how she does it.  But man, she gets it.  She gets the pain and struggle.  She also writes about hope, too, though.  So she isn't quite as depressed as I am!  Melanin Sun has a tough situation going on.  From the Notebooks of Melanin Sun is another rip-your-heart-out, this-kid-is-a-real-kid kinda book.  Melanin Sun finds out that his mom is in love with another woman.  That brings all kinds of decisions and worries and turmoil to his young life.  Woodson addresses it all with grace and love and truth.  Great stuff.  Great Woodson again.

No comments:

Post a Comment