What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Pope

It all started when Dolores' daughter had an extra credit assignment.  It was right after Pope Benedict XVI stepped down from the papacy.  She was to write a paper about Pope Celestine V.  I had never heard of Pope Celestine V.  But he was the first pope who stepped down from the position, back in 1294.  I was pretty excited to learn more about Celestine V, but this book was way too advanced for me.  The author is clearly a scholar when it comes to the Roman Church.  I found it interesting that is a convert.  Maybe if I had more of a background in Roman Catholicism I would have enjoyed it more.  From the snippets I had heard about Celestine V I had the impression that he was too spiritual for the role of Pope, or that he was rising above all of the political deceit that was all around the papacy back then.  If that is true, The Pope Who Quit really didn't get into it.  I wanted to really enjoy this book, but it just didn't do too much for me.  I would love someone with a better background in Roman Catholicism to read it and tell me what they think.

No comments:

Post a Comment