What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Best Friends

Eight years ago I lost my best friend to cancer.  She lost the earthly battle, but she gained the Heavenly Kingdom.  I miss her everyday, but I can't feel sorry for her.  My Joanie is LIVING the LIFE, man!  It's the rest of us, those left behind, who are the unlucky ones!
Because of my personal experience, The F--- It List really hit home with me.
Alex isn't just dealing with her best friend's illness, however.  Her father was recently killed in a car accident.
I read Halpern's Don't Stop Now and I really loved it.  So when I saw this on netgalley, I was excited to read it and not disappointed at all.  Really super insightful and realistic.  I wonder if the author experienced the death or illness of a best friend, because Alex's thoughts and feelings were right on, in my experience, anyway.
The characters of Alex and Becca were so real.  Scenes with Alex's mom and brothers were touching and lovely.  The relationship that blossons between Alex and Leo is just so so well done.
I wish Joanie and I would have had a formal Bucket or F--- It List when she was diagnosed, but we did do a lot of crazy and great things.  Man.  This book was super good for me.
Good, good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment