What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

I can't remember 2002

very well, so I don't know if Feed seemed totally off the wall and impossible when it was published.  Sure the whole vacationing on the moon thing is still off the wall and impossible, but the rest of this stuff?  Its scary, how possible it seems.  I didn't realize until just now that M.T. Anderson also wrote Burger Wuss, which I really enjoyed!  As I recall, BW was NOTHING like Feed!  I really like this review of Feed.
I think that the reason I only gave Feed 4 of 5 stars is that I was upset by the way that the adults talked in Feed, because here I am, almost forty-one and I think that I talk just like the Feed adults.  I am all like, you know, whatever, a lot of the like, time.  And it is embarrassing and I am ashamed.  So my 4/5 rating is no reflection on Feed, but rather on myself. 
Additionally, there is a sentence in Feed that made me laugh out loud.  "Everyone is supersmart now. You can look things up automatic, like science and history, like if you want to know which battles of the Civil War George Washington fought in and sh%t."
I shared this with an acquaintance and she said, "I know, wouldn't that be a neat part of it!  I wouldn't mind that!" 
I shared it with another acquaintance and the response was nearly the same.  And then a third.  And then a fourth.
No one found it funny.
I found the whole thing rather tragic at that point. 
Feed was scary because it was pretty, darn realistic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment