What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

What a Story

The Crossing is a must-read.  I didn't know much about Juarez, Mexico.  I still don't, but The Crossing is one of those books that will cause me to do tons of research on it.  This book takes place fairly recently after the Vietnam War and is centered around a young boy named Manny who lives in the streets of Juarez and an American Army General who is still reliving he horror of his time spent in country.  The conditions on the streets of Juarez at that time were horrible.  In an author interview at the end of the audiobook, Paulsen tells that he spent time in Juarez and his time there inspired this book.  He says in the interview that at the time of his taping of the interview, the condition of life for the children of Juarez were reported as being still horrible.  I googled it today and found much the same, though, promises of much hope.  What an incredible story of the impact of greed, war, of children and hope and hopelessness.  An incredible, incredible story.

No comments:

Post a Comment