What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, January 5, 2014

A Tale of Two Emilys

And We Stay by Jenny Hubbard was an eARC from netgalley and it had a great cover and so I read it.  Again, I know as well as anyone not to judge a book by its cover, but in this case, I am glad I did.  And We Stay was a 5-Star read.  Heart-breaking and hopeful.  I didn't realize until I finished the book that the author's first book was Paper Covers Rock, which I really didn't like at all.  I didn't like it so much, that I doubt I would have given And We Stay a chance, had I remembered.  I'm glad I didn't remember, though, because And We Stay was beautifully written and realistic and I learned so much about Emily Dickinson.  The book is set in Amherst, Massachusettes, where Dickinson was born, lived a pretty much reclusive life and died.  The Museum itself actually figures prominently in the story. 
Emily Beam's ex-boyfriend, Paul commits suicide in their school library and Emily is dealing with all of the guilt and hell left behind.  In an attempt to heal, she transfers to a boarding school in Amherst.  The ghost of Emily Dickinson is all around and it helps Emily Beam to face the sorrows of her past.  Well drawn characters and a wonderful use of setting.  Great, heart-breaking story, with a lot of terrific, soul-ripping poetry as well.  Really enjoyed this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment