What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, February 10, 2014

There is a lot to love...(warning, some spoilers)

There's a lot to love about One Man Guy by Michael Barakiva.  First of all, if you aren't Armenian or Armenian-American, you will learn about the Armenian culture.  You will also learn about the Armenian Genocide, which everyone should know about, but not enough people do.  I watched My Big, Fat Greek Wedding this weekend, when I happened to be reading this book and I was thinking about the Armenians' feelings toward the Turks when the grandmother in MBFGW was accusing everyone of being a Turk and cursing them.  I love a book that teaches something, especially when it isn't done in an obvious or heavy-handed way.  It just makes the book so much more interesting and worthwhile. 
You will also learn about Rufus Wainwright, but I am probably one of the few people left in the world who had heard his name, but was unfamiliar with his music.  Not anymore, thanks to One Man Guy, as now I have listened and his music is awesome! 
SPOILER COMING UP.  Another thing I loved, loved, loved about this book is that faith is involved and not in the stereotypical, Christian-bashing kinda way that some YA books present faith.  The main character, Alek, goes to church with his family and he and his family are not homophobic!  Yes, indeed!  Just like that one guy...you know, Jesus, who wasn't homophobic either!  I loved, loved that Barakvia made Alek's parents realistic, just like all of the characters in this book.  No stereotypes here at all. 
One Man Guy is truly funny, original, realistic and beautiful.  What a great, great book.  One of the best that I have read this year.  I hope that Barakiva continues to write for teens.  And I hope that Alek and Ethan live happily ever after! 

No comments:

Post a Comment