What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, March 10, 2014

Disaster!


Back in my days in the south, Bethel Park, PA, my buddy Rachel and I would run around having disasters very often.  "I'm having a disaster!" could be heard nearly every day.  Now of course, we were a bit dramatic.  There is no need for Lauren Tarshis to write an I Survived the 1990s in Bethel Park.  Bethel Park was a wonderful place in which to work, shop, eat, learnkaraoke and have adventures.
The disasters written about in The Unthinkable:  Who Survives When Disaster Strikes- and Why are the serious, horrible disasters.  The man-made and the natural disasters.  I read this one because I really enjoyed Amanda Ripley's The Smartest Kids in the World and How They Got That Way
This was a very quick read, even though it is hard to hear about horrible tragedies such as Hurricane Katrina and September 11.  It was fascinating to read about Rick Rescorla, a true hero of a man who made it possible for nearly all of Morgan Stanley's 2,687 employees to evacuate the tower by putting into place advanced evacuation plans and by keeping a cool head during the attack.    There have been studies done, physiologcial and psychological, to determine if survivors have something extra or something less which makes them able to survive disasters while others perish.  Interesting stuff here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment