What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Friday, April 18, 2014

Flea

In this world where money is king, it does surprise me that Flea doesn't have her own series.  Flea is a big part of Alvin's problems in this third installment:  Alvin Ho:  Allergic to Birthday Parties, Science Projects and Other Man-Made Catastrophes.
The thing that made me pause was the playing of "Indians." I was pretty surprised and I had to give it one star for that.
I did some looking around for thoughts on this.
And this is what I found.
I am not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater.  But this is pretty awful.
Had this been Henry Huggins, published in 1950, it could begin a conversation about how far we have come and why we don't put up with that today.  But man...this just makes so sense at all.
As you will see, I do still love Alvin.  I just really can't recommend this book in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment