What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Last Year...

I read One Day More and I really enjoyed it and I thought, man, I can't wait to read Life After Theft!  But when I saw it on the shelf at the library, it just looked so so so so so long!  And I do get lazy!  But then a lovely gal I know, the daughter of my friend Theresa, told me that she loved LAT so I looked and there it was, able to be downloaded for free from the library!  So even though it was a year later, I remembered how much I enjoyed One Day More and I started in on LAT.  Man.  I blew through the first 6 1/2 of 8 sections of the audio.  It was so so so good!  I loved it so much!  But my enthusiasm faded a little bit.  I am not sure why.  The cover is totally deceiving.  Like The Disenchantments the cover will most likely turn away guys, but the narrator is a guy!  What a shame!  This is definitely a "good for dudes" but can you honestly see a teen dude carrying this book around?  If I were Aprilynne Pike I would be kinda mad!
It was cool to learn more about Santa Monica, which I have driven through but not spent any time.  Now I know though, that if I had a ton of bucks and any fashion sense, Montana Avenue is the only place to shop.
Jeff is the new kid in super-rich town.  His dad did very well in the whole dot.com thing, so he is new to this world of riches, but it isn't the prep school or the new wealth that are causing him problems, its a ghost.  The ghost of Kimberlee, who was super-rich in life and went to Jeff's prep school, but she had a big problem, she was a kleptomaniac.  Big time.  She hid all of the things that she stole, from her teachers, classmates, stores, in a cave on her private beach.  She's been haunting the school halls for a year now and no one can see her, until Jeff starts school.  She enlists his help to return all of the things that she stole so that her soul can have peace and maybe she won't have to float around in limbo.
I really did like this book, I guess I just wanted it to have a little more meaning.  It could have.  Jeff is an agnostic and I thought maybe he would be moved by his experience with Kimberlee or something, you know?  I don't know...I just thought that this could be a good part of the book, not that it would have to be Christian or preachy or anything.  Or even if his whole experience affirmed his agnosticism (is that possible, given the nature of agnosticism, I don't know!) or something!  But it just didn't seem to impact him at all, for more belief or for less belief, and I found that not very believable.  Interacting with a ghost would impact you in a big way, I think!  It just had a chance to be something deeper, like a Sara Zarr book, but it didn't go that way.  And that's okay!  I mean, I am the gal who loves Stone Barrington and The Fame Game!  I just wanted a little more from this.  Still, I would recommend it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment