What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, June 16, 2014

Paperboy

Are there still paperboys anymore?  Around my town papers are delivered by folks in cars.  I don't know if it is like that everywhere!  I accidentally listed to The Paperboy thinking it was Paperboy and I wondered why this was so short!  I was worried that I had listened to another one of those graphic novels!  But then I kept asking people who read Paperboy, "Is it a graphic novel?  Are there a lot of pictures?"  and the answer was always, "Um...no."   So then I figured out that I had a completely different book! 
Paperboy was really, really good.  It was a slice-of-life kinda book.  A look at life in a neighborhood in Memphis in 1959 from the POV of a young teen boy who has a stutter.  I loved, loved this kid's family and the kid himself.  Vince Vawter has an author's note at the end.  What a wonderful, wonderful book.  I also learned what a U.S. Merchant Marine is! 

No comments:

Post a Comment