What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, June 12, 2014

What's so Wicked about Wikipedia?

I am sure there are people out there who don't like Wikipedia and probably call it Wickedpedia, but to me, there is nothing wicked about Wikipedia at all.  Wickedpedia, the book, is a different story.
First of all, great, great cover.  I've mentioned before how I always give to the wikipedia campaign at the end of the year and how good it feels just to get that silly "thank you" email, even though I know it is a programmed response, when I think about how I never did get an acknowledgement from This American Life, it just stands out to me and makes me give again (and, as I have mentioned, never give again to TAL).
But that is neither here nor there!  It has nothing to do with this new book, due out in a couple of weeks as part of the new Point Horror books from Scholastic.
First of all, the cover is terrific!  It really is.  If I saw this sitting on a library or book store shelf, it would instantly get my attention.  I will definitely order this for the library because it is coming out a good time for quick reads.
Unsurprisingly, Wickedpedia is a lot like a teen horror movie, especially when it comes to the characters:  none of them are likable and so we don't care when they are taken out in nasty ways.   Not great literature here, but not meant to be!  Although I had my suspicions when it came to the murderer, I didn't really figure it out until close to the reveal.  The book succeeds at what it tries to do:  it will keep readers turning the pages until the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment