What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Any Book Set in New Orleans

New Orleans is a magical place.  Truly.  Out of the Easy shows the less magical part of New Orleans.  Every town has less magical parts, of course.  And when you are in the business of prostitution, no matter how magical your city is, you are going to experience the dark side.  Josie is not a prostitute, but her mother is.  And her mom is a serious jerk.  Not because she is a prostitute.  Indeed, the madame of the house where Josie's mom worse is not a jerk.  She is hard as nails, but I liked her. The book is set in the 1950s, in the French Quarter.  Josie desperately wants to get out of New Orleans.  She wants to attend Smith College.  I thought it was kinda cool that one of Josie's new friends mention a "promising talent by the name of Madeleine L'Engle who graduated from Smith."  I have never read a book by Ruta Sepetys, but man, I am going to now!

No comments:

Post a Comment