What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, July 7, 2014

Meet Rebecca, not Rachel!

For some reason I always refer to Rebecca Rubin as Rachel Rubin!  I have no idea why!  But this American Girl is featured in the first American Girl book that I have read all the way through!  So now I think I will always remember her name!  Meet Rebecca takes us back to New York City in 1911.  One can learn a lot from this book about what life was like for one Jewish Russian immigrant family.  This is an interesting site that I found that gives a little more information into what NYC was like for the immigrants and also why each group came to America at that time.  Here is some more information about the pogroms in Russia that would have brought families like the Rubins to a new country.
One of the comments on goodreads said that All-of-a-Kind Family is a better book that deals with the same time period.  I am listening to it now!  It is very good!  While Meet Rebecca isn't great, it isn't bad.  And if you already are used to the typical American Girl book, then it won't be a disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment