What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Because of this Website

Does the Dog Die, I was able to read Because of Winn-Dixie.  Well, reread it.  Because I remember reading it along time ago, but I really didn't want to reread it if Winn-Dixie died.  And while I was pretty sure, almost 99% certain that he didn't, I just wanted to make sure.  I have been struggling through The House of Small Shadows and it has been very depressing and I didn't need anymore depressing right then.
Does the Dog Die is about movies, which I didn't know when I looked at it quickly on my phone but just discovered now.  I just found this on goodreads, so that is another good resource for those of you, who like me, subscribe to the No More Dead Dogs way of life.
This is a great story.  Nowadays it might seem like every other book for kids is about a girl from the south, without a mother or a father or both, but Because of Winn-Dixie was early on, so you can't get mad at it for that.
What I loved most, not surprisingly, was the relationship between India Opal and her dad, whom she just calls, "The Preacher."  I loved that the church her father pastors was welcoming of all, even the stray dog, Winn-Dixie, named after the store.  I LOVED Glory Dump and Otis and Miss Franny Block.  All lovely characters and lovely people.  And they call came together, because of Winn-Dixie.

No comments:

Post a Comment