What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, January 15, 2017

What Ever Happened?

I didn't know that Whatever Happened to Baby Jane was a book before it was a movie.  And what a movie it was!  Very creepy.  One of the best and most creepy movies I have ever seen.  I saw it later in my life; I had to be at least 35 when I saw it and Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte, based on the short story by Baby Jane author, Henry Farrell.   Charlotte promoted by disdain for Olivia de Havilland and put me solidly on Joan Fontaine's side of the sister feud.
It was a creepy treat to read both Baby Jane and Charlotte and another Farrell story, First the Egg, which I found to be very funny. I don't know what it would be like to have just read Hush and Baby without having seen the movies. Crawford and Davis just burn themselves into your brain.  But I wouldn't trade having done so!  Do the stories hold up on their own?  I think so.  I would be interested to hear from someone who read the books/stories first.  But I really enjoyed these!

No comments:

Post a Comment