What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Author! Author!

Boring!  Boring!
I remember when Siskel and Ebert reviewed Author!  Author!  And I think it was Siskel who said, "Author!  Author!  Boring!  Boring!"  It was so funny!  But I have to say listening to the author of Down and Across, Arvin Ahmadi was NOT boring at all!  He was a guest on Mashreads and I listened to right when I started DAA and it was so enjoyable to listen to Ahmadi and it made me like his book even more!  But honestly, I would have liked DAA anyway.  Highly recommended for its quirky characters and even though it deals with the common plot of parents who have different expectations for their teenager than the teenager has for him or herself, I think it should get even higher props for being interesting and real! 
Like when you hear a good Christmas Eve sermon or something, you know?  Or Easter.  Something that everyone has heard so many times before?  But the preacher has drawn upon the Holy Spirit in such a way that its like you are hearing about it for the first time.  That's what Ahmadi did here.  Took a story we have heard a million times and made it new!  Great book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment