What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Film and TV and Chocolate



Shame on me for always getting Bruce Lee and Lenny Bruce confused.  While I still don't know anything about Lenny Bruce and I don't think the Who Was/Is people will do a book about him, I know very well who Bruce Lee is now and he sounds like one of the "good guys."  Great to read about him.
Lucille Ball is someone I have always enjoyed.  My favorite of her shows was The Lucy Show and I know that's weird, but I always liked Vivian Vance more than Lucy, being a fat kid and Lucy being David Levithan worthy and Viv not so much and Viv gets more time in this one.  Remember what Lucille Ball said about Judy!  "She was the funniest woman in show business."  So that is major points for her!
Jim Henson was also one of the good guys.
Alfred Hitchcock, not so much. I wonder if this book were rewritten now, with the MeToo thing going on, would the Tippi Hedren coverage in it be different? 
Back to the good we have Milton Hershey, who was a SUPER nice guy.  Who built a company town but made it a nice town.  Where people loved to live and work and it remains a lovely town to visit. 
Finally there is George Lucas.  My lower rating for this one is completely based on my "meh" feeling about Star Wars.  Still, it was really good to read read these books and learn more about people about whom I knew very little. 

No comments:

Post a Comment