What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, January 7, 2021

We can be sad but we can't despair


When my mom and I would get super sad in the last years of our living together, we would remind each other, "We can be sad, but we can't despair.  We can be angry, but we can't despair.  We can cry, but we can't despair."

Despair is the complete loss of hope. And we can't lose hope.  Because there is no need to lose hope.  Because love wins.  It always wins.  Love won.  The truth is that everything will be okay in the end.  And actually, everything will be okay NOW when we surrender to love.

Every decision, every action made in love is the right one.  

I am horrified by the actions of 45 and so many leaders in our country.  I am horrified by the man who lives two streets away from me, who had taken down his giant 45 sign about two weeks ago and put it up again last night.  

I am more horrified by the silence from churches.  These people who support 45 claim to be church-going, God-loving people.  Where are the church leaders?  My pastor put this out there yesterday:

The events unfolding in Washington D.C. challenge all people of faith to step forward for justice and stand down from any semblance of violence. The seditious mob action in our nation’s capital seeks to undermine both our democratic principles and our Christian values. It cannot and must not succeed.

Scripture is clear. Demagogues and false idols clinging to power have no place in Christ’s beloved community. Inciting mobs with lies and self-serving rhetoric has no place in the lexicon of prophetic faith. The actions of a misguided few shall not dissuade us from the larger work of Christian witness, healing and justice.

Let us pray together for peace - for our nation’s better angels to guide us in the days ahead - for the safety of elected officials and citizens - for an end to racist acts of division and discord - and for the true light of the Savior, who still breaks the bonds of all tombs of death and delusion, to shine brightly upon this nation and all people. May it be so. 

- Rev. Randy Bush, pastor East Liberty Presbyterian Church

Why didn't EVERY pastor say something similar?  Why?  I can only think fear kept them from doing it.  Fear of making people upset.  Fear of losing church members.  I pray they will not fear.  I pray they will do the right thing.  

I am sickened that so many still see 45's actions as not okay okay but laudable.  

BUT I WILL NOT DESPAIR. 

I will not abandon hope.  

There is no need.

Love wins.

Love is winning.

Love.

Love.

Love.

May the supporters of 45 and may 45 himself feel LOVE.  May they remember and internalize the truth:  they are created in the image of God (Love) and they can grow into that image by LOVING.  

Love.

Love.

Love.

Speak up, pastors and leaders.  

Speak up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment