What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Mysterious Benedict Society

I am in love with the MBS. Truly. If only there was a real Mr. Benedict. I would love to hang with him. So far there are three books in this series about a group of especially gifted children who meet through the brilliant but quirky Mrs. Benedict. I finished this first book and am currently reading the second. One of the cool things about this book is that it doesn't date itself. It could be taking place today, ten years ago, fifty years ago or years in the future. In this book Mr. Benedict and the children, Reynie, Sticky, Kate and Constance, try to stop the evil Dr. Curtain from brainwashing and memory-sweeping the entire world in his efforts to control everyone and everything. It reminds me of those classic adventurous books about children solving puzzles, going on missions and trying to save the world, books like A Wrinkle in Time and The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. I have recommended this book to kids, adults and as a family read-aloud. There were times when I actually could feel my heart palpating and I realized I was holding my breath in suspense- that's how good this book is!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the Young Adult Reading Challenge. I dearly love YA novels and can't wait to see what titles you read this year!

    ReplyDelete