What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Graced Author

Man I loved this book! I didn't think I would. I needed something to listen to one lunch hour and I picked up the full-cast audio of Graceling to serve as background noise to Zuma on my cell phone and chicken nuggets in my tummy. At first it reminded me of all the reasons why I usually hate fantasy. Weird names, like the hero Katsa and her uncle King Randa. Places with equally weird names like, well I can't spell them. Freaky people who have gifts called "Graces" which allow them to be really good at one thing or another, but by the end of my french fries I was hooked. Katsa is a Graceling (they are easily spotted because they have two different colored eyes). Some Gracelings have the gift of baking bread or hunting, Katsa's grace is that she is a freakin' killing machine!
This book is super fantastic. Katsa is a very strong female character. I wondered...who would win in a fight, Katsa or Katniss from the Hunger Games.
Even though this book as a very loving and complicated romance/relationship, I still enjoyed it. It think that because the relationship is show in a realistic way (it causes a lot of pain) I was not annoyed.
Even if you hate fantasy and hate romance and can't stomach the idea of a combination of both, you just might really enjoy Graceling. It has enough action and a very evil villain to keep you in suspense nearly up until the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment