What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Another Vampire Book

Ever since Twilight everybody and their brother has been writing vampire novels. That's one of the big complaints I've read in reviews for Pretty Dead by Francesca Lia Block. I have also read the complaints that start like this, "I'm not a prude but...". Well, I think both of those complaints are pretty dumb. First of all, yes, this is ANOTHER vampire book, but so what? There's nothing new under the sun, right? And Pretty is a very good book, better than Twilight, I believe- and I really enjoyed Twilight. Second, anyone who has ever read Francesca Lia Block has GOT to know that there's going to be sex in the book. It isn't descriptive. Maybe it is more sensuality than sex...maybe, I don't know, but if you know the author, you know this book isn't for middle school libraries. So deal with it. Char is a 100+ year old vampire with the appearance of an 18 year old high school student, living in California, dealing with the death of her only friend. She's miserable with grief from the loss of her friend and hating the immortal life, and falling in love with her dead friend's boyfriend. Oh yes, and the manipulative vampire who made her is back and up to serious no-good. The story is written in Block's lyrical style and goes back and forth to the time when Char wasn't a vampire and through the ages and then to the present day. This book is a very short and quick read and is almost like a dream. It isn't the happiest book in the world, but I recommend it to those who enjoyed Twilight and those who didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment