What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

One Really Long, Drawn-out Punch

Michael Kerrigan is a high school senior with friends, good grades, a talent for writing, a job writing obits for the local paper, and wicked talent when it comes to running. He is also extremely boring. Really seriously boring. He is so boring, I think he should be arrested for being so boring.
Alas, Mike has other legal troubles, however. Things are going along nicely for Michael, he is in great shape for his last season of track, he's on this way to college some place, and eventually out of Scranton, PA, which he describes as a dying, but tough town of character. Everything is cool until Michael gets busted with four joints in his locker at school. Will he betray his oldest friend to avoid losing all that he has? Frankly, you won't care by the time you get to the end. This book is less than 200 pages but it took me what seemed like seven months to read it. One Good Punch is aching long but not overtly offensive like Wintergirls, so I can't trash it as much as I did that baby. I also thought the beginning wasn't so bad. I liked hearing about the obits that Mike wrote for the paper. Wow. When obits are the most exciting part of a book, you know you're in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment