What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

...there are no off-putting Briticisms...

That's what ALA's Booklist said about Cirque du Freak: a living nightmare and I couldn't agree more! I love that quote! So well put! What book DOES have off-putting Briticisms? Harry Potter of course, but that is neither here nor there, except that I always enjoy getting a chance to bash HP. This book is fresh and creepy, without the off-putting Briticisms! Hooray! At the very beginning the author says that he isn't going to mention where the events in the book take place because it is too dangerous. I liked that because one, it made the book seem creepier and two, it assured the absence of Briticisms. Darren and his friends find a flyer advertising an illegal freak show in an abandoned theater in a neglected part of town. Darren and his buddy Steve go to the show and there, Steve recognizes one of the "freaks" as a vampire. I really don't want to give any more away because this book is definitely one you want to read if vampires or freak shows interest you, or if you just like good books that you'll want to finish in one day. This is the first is a series and the first three books in the series were made into a movie that came out last October. I have no idea how I missed it, but last year I wasn't obsessed with movies like I had been in previous years. It didn't get very good reviews and it is really bombed at the box office, but the trailer looks great and John C. Reilly is awesome so I am sad that it didn't do well. I am looking forward to reading the second book!


No comments:

Post a Comment