What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Freaky

I love Rachel Cohn, indeed, the Gingerbread series is among my all time favorite series, but for the first fifty pages or so of Very LeFreak, I was disappointed. I just didn't like Very. In fact, I found her very annoying. Not as annoying as the broad in Wintergirls, but pretty annoying. Soon I discovered why I was so annoyed with Very...I really saw myself in her.
Very is the story of a freshman at Columbia, party girl, obsessed with everything tech. Her technology addiction lands her at ESCAPE, a camp for others like her, who can't pry their fingers from their ipods and laptops. The story is about way more than tech obsession though...it is about Very trying to be able to alone and quite, with herself, and listen to her own soul and mind, instead of the beeping and tweeting she has put all around her. The reasons for Very's addiction are much more realistic than the broad in Wintergirls and so is the recovery. Score another thoughtful, funny, fresh hit for Rachel Cohn.

No comments:

Post a Comment