What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Totally Not Quiet

I first heard of All Unquiet Things on Random House Teen's site RandomBuzzers. They had one of those book video trailers for it. The trailer was pretty good I thought. I haven't seen too many book trailers, except on tv, but now I am seeking them out. Some are SO bad! The Graceling one for example. Of course, now that I look at the Unquiet trailer again I am thinking maybe it isn't so great after all and now I am embarrassed that I liked it and so on and so forth because now I guess it is kinda like a cheesy after-school special or something with nudity thrown in. Oh well. At least I liked the trailer well enough to read the book and I am glad I did. Anna Jarzab is a first time author and if this first book is any indication of her talent, then I am looking forward to her next book! She said that it took her six years to write this one, so I don't know how long it will be, but if it is anything like Unquiet, it will be worth waiting for indeed.
Unquiet takes place in California, in a rich community where the really spoiled kids go to Brighton Day School. Their parents and mostly doctors and they think they are all that and a coupon for an Arby's Roastburger.
The book is told from the perspective of two students at Brighton Day, Neily (weird name, I kept calling him Nelly and it totally was weird for me) and Audrey. Both have had their lives changed by the murder of Carly. Neily was Carly's boyfriend until she totally humiliated him at a party and broke up with him in front of about 100 of his freniemes. Carly was Audrey's cousin- their fathers are brothers. After Carly's death, Audrey's father, a known alcoholic and generally bad dude, was tried and found guilty of her murder.
Audrey and Neily don't believe that Audrey's father killed Carly and so they work together to find the real killer.
This is a very good mystery and an interesting character study of both Audrey and Neily. Neily is COMPLETELY unlikeable in my opinion, but I did like Audrey. Still I realized it is still possible to not like a main character and yet really like the book. Although Unquiet is a young adult book, any adult mystery lover would really enjoy this first offering from Jarzab.

No comments:

Post a Comment