What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Buy ology- Get it! BUY ology! Get it! Ha!

It took me a bit but I figured out the whole Buy-ology thing! The SCIENCE of why we buy, you know? ology? Buy? Ha!
I have totally amused myself!
This book was okay. After reading the dreadfully out-of-date Why We Buy I thought I would give this newer book a chance. The author of Buy wrote this intro to this one, so I should have taken that as a sign that Buy-ology wouldn't be awesome, but I read, actually listened, on.
This guy, Martin Lindstrom is totally bizarre. I just went to his website and couldn't believe it. There is a whole section of images to download, all of Lindstrom himself! How strange! Like who would want a picture of this guy? It is so so weird! I mean, he looks like a nice guy...but dude...I don't know, I just don't know if there really is a call for this part of his site!
Wow. That was so weird. Anyway, Buy-ology is all about the study of how the brain responds to ads. Lindstrom talks about how instead of doing market research by asking people questions about their buying habits, it is more effective to give them fMRIs and see how their brains responds to ads.
It was all very interesting. Not as interesting as Malcolm Gladwell's stuff but definitely more interesting than Envirosell. But to be honest, the stuff from Envirosell (the Why We Buy book) was much more helpful in the real world. There wasn't anything that I could do in my own place of work to mess with people's brain functions, and actually I don't want to! But at least with Buy, I was able to put some of his advice into use and it worked!
This book? Well, it was odd. It tackles topics like, "does sex really sell?" and "do gruesome anti-smoking ads really make smokers quit?" That stuff is interesting but it doesn't really go deep enough. I guess I thought it would be something different, something business-like, but it isn't. And even though the premise sounds interesting, you know the buy-ology stuff, it isn't either!

No comments:

Post a Comment