What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Call Me (or call Kelly when you need a book)

Thanks to my wonderfull and intelligent friend, Kelly, I have been introduced to some amazing books. Not only has she created the best YA collection in the county, so that I am able to find great books just by browsing her shelves at the Sewickley Library, but she also has personally recommended books to me that I never would have picked up on my own. Books I have loved and torn right through.
Debbie Harry Sings in French is her latest rcommendation. Debbie is the story of Johnny, a young man struggling with his addiction to alcohol and the death of his father, oh and the fact that he likes to dress in women's clothing.
After Johnny gets sent to rehab for huis drinking problem, his newly widowed mom decides she can't handle him, and so she sends him to live with his dad's brother, his Uncle Sam. There Johnny meets Maria and she helps him learn more about love and his love of Debbie Harry- yes, from Blondie- and his desire to be more like her. Refreshing, original, touching with realistic chararcters. Uncle Sam is a terrrific adult 'influence' not a stereotype at all. This book is a super fast and super awesome read. I promise you you've never read a book like this one before.

No comments:

Post a Comment