What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Cry Me a River

So tonight I texted this to my BFF.
"Don't read the book Dear Zoe. I don't cry over books or movies usually. Probably because I don't usually see or read sad things. But I'm on the last half of the last disc and wow. It is even sadder because it takes place in Pittsburgh, and even though it's about a teen whose three year old sister is hit by a car and dies on September 11, 2001- it just makes me think about death of loved ones and I can't get Joanie out of my head because she's the closest person I've ever lost as an adult you know? And the book just isn't about the little girl's death or September 11, it's really about how when someone you love dies it is your own personal pain Experience. And like how we apologize if that person's death isn't somehow 'tragic' enough. Like oh she was old or oh he was just your uncle or oh she didn't die in 9-11. You know? And it's made me just sob and I can't get this Randy Travis song out of my head, 'Old 8x10' even though it's about a divorce, but I'm crying just the same and I'm thinking of the amazing ending of Cinema Paradiso which just is so unbelievably beautiful and how I cried and I don't know. But thank you for letting me share.'"
Then I was still so upset that I had to talk to my mom about it! I felt better after thinking about the fact that we're in the second week of Easter and remembering recent scripture meditations from Sacred Space. But obviously, I am finding Dear Zoe to be a very powerful book.
Maybe I'm being a jerk but I can't get over the fact that this book is written by a middle age man and told from the perspective of a 15 year old girl. It just sounds so so real.
I just finished this book and it really held up to the end. Wonderful. What a deeply insightful book.

No comments:

Post a Comment