What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Places

Well, why not?
I mean I'm not anymore qualified to review books or movies, why not states and cities and little towns?
Pennsylvania
I live here so I think I know it pretty well. My first boss told me the old saying 'Pennsylvania is Pittsburgh and Philly with Alabama in the middle.' Well I've never been to Alabama but I know that means redneck in this case and I'm not sure I would agree. Pittsburgh has it's own number of rednecks, too! Growing up I was one of them for awhile. Pittsburgh is a wonderful place to live it seems to me, but admittedly, I've never lived anywhere else! We have top-notch schools like Pitt and CMU. We have UMPC and a wonderful opera company and symphony. We've got the National Aviary and we're the home of Heinz and the Pens and the Steelers, even though Ben Worthlessberger is our quarterback.
Old St. Patrick's in the Strip is a wonderful place to do devotions. The town of Sharpsburg has a special place in my heart.
Jim's Drive In in West Mifflin has the best dogs. Rook's in Ambridge, the best soup.
Downtown is easy to get around and First Night Rocks.
Oakland, however, is a headache and an over-rated drag as is Shadyside.
Brentwood is a sweet little community. East Liberty is a great neighborhood.
I've lived all my life in the North Hills and most of that in Shaler. The Shaler road crew is fantastic in the winter! The township is run efficiently and brilliantly. If I so say so myself, the library is awesome! It is totally easy to get anywhere in and from Shaler. The people are kind and there's a really wonderful sense of community. There is a wonderful sense of the it's rich history yet there is excitement about the community's future. It truly is a perfect place to live.
For eight years I worked in the South Hills in Bethel Park. Again a fabulous road crew. Mayor Morton is a great guy. The school district is first class. The only downside to Bethel is that it's impossible to get out of it easily! It is rough to get downtown or to the turnpike or to I-79.
Since 2001 I've worked in the Village of Sewickley. This place is Brigadoon! Great little parks and sidewalks and shops. A super library and a fantastic school district. Great community events, too.
Another one of my favorite places in PA is Altoona. This is the home of Sheetz!
I've also enjoyed my time in Harrisburg and Valley Forge as well.
Breezewood is a great exit on the turnpike!
Speaking of the turnpike, however, it is awful. Narrow and always under construction. The service plazas are nice though! I-80 in PA is a great ride though, as is I-79.
Washington is a nifty city. Canonsburg has a great Fourth of July parade.
Philly is pretty neat. I know a lot of people rip on it, but I have no personal complaints.
Indian Echo Caverns has a great gift shop.
The town of Ephrata is a delight. Their library is awesome.
Williamsport is home to the Little League World Series and Brodart and the forward-thinking James V. Brown Library.
Johnstown is a library with an awesome staff! As does Roaring Spring- though I've never been there.
Hershey is awesome! Even though the candy isn't made there anymore and the Lodge is tough to figure out when you're there for a conference.
The Laurel Highlands are beautiful with some sweet little towns.
Jumonville- the best place to retreat.
Gettysburg, lovely at Christmas.
Portersville- Cheeseman Farm and Lake Arthur- wonderful in the fall.
See the fish at Pymatuning!
State College is great! And I am sure all the Penn State fans would agree.
So that's some of my PA info! Stay tuned for more, uneducated reviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment