What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

More Judy! And Liza, too!

Two book in the same month that mention Judy! Dramarama is the hilarious story of two young kids from Ohio, Sayde and Demi, who love musical theater and all of the drama (on stage and off) that they imagine comes with it. At the beginning and through out the book there are transcripts of the micro-cassette recordings that Sayde and Demi make "for posterity" and they are hilarious and fun to read. I remember making recordings like that with my friends when I was a kid.
As the book opens Sayde and Demi are recording their thoughts as Sayde's dad is driving them to a summer program at a theater camp in Wildwood, NJ. They can't wait to get out of their small town, where they are the only two people who understand that Liza Minnelli is a god, and hone their theatrical talents. Like I said, this book mentions Liza and Judy. Liza multiple times (Sayde and Demi love Cabaret, and well, who doesn't!!!) and Judy once, when talking about Judy's birth name.
I loved the flair and fun and the seriousness of this book. It is a very different take on a coming of age story. Demi discovers how wonderful it is to stop pretending he is straight, Sayde discovers she can be strong on her own. This book is just really fun and cool and memorable, too.
And well...it mentions Judy! And Liza, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment