What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, May 2, 2010

WARNING! THIS IS NOT ABOUT SHAQUILLE O'NEAL but READ IT ANYWAY!

If you are like me, you were deeply disappointed to discover that the widely talked about movie The Queen was not about Queen Latifah. All I could think, sitting there in the theater was, "I wasted $8 on this?" so let me be the one to warn you about The Shack.
Up until this week I had not heard of The Shack, although it's been the rage for quite sometime. I was probably the last person on earth to hear of it. An acquaintance mentioned it to me in passing, saying that everyone in her book group had loved it. That their lives were changed by it, but that it had left her cold. She then went on to say that she had read that it wasn't good theology. Now I was interested.
Theology interests me of course, because Jesus is the most important thing to me ever and always. So I did a little digging and found that there did exist a lot of controversy around The Shack, theologically. Then I forgot about it. But then on Friday my lovely and brilliant friend, Kara told me that her book club was reading it as well. She told me that people seemed to either love it or hate it and that you couldn't predict some one's feelings for it. So then I REALLY had to read it!
The first part was like a Law & Order episode, but not as well written as the detective stuff that I usually read. It reminded me of The Bridges of Madison County of all things or maybe a Nicholas Sparks book, but I've never read a Sparks book, but I did try to get through Bridges when it came out in the early 90s, but I never made it, but that's not important, huh?
What IS important is that the theology of Shack is right on. This book will definitely help people see God in a different way, if they don't already see Him as the Loving, Redeeming Creator that He (or She) is.
The author's theodicy is one of the best that I have read in a long time, if ever. I totally recommend this book even though I know there is a chance it could upset some folk.

No comments:

Post a Comment