What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, May 17, 2010

Love the cover, love the book, but who else would like it?

After reading Will Grayson, Will Grayson and loving it so much, I said I wanted to try another book by each of the authors. Are We There Yet? was the first to arrive when I put some books on hold. Short, great cover featuring a snow globe of Venice. My dad collects snow globes. Everywhere I go I get one for him. He has quite a few now. In Vegas I was stopped by airport security because I forgot to pack one in my luggage and had it in my carry-on. It freaked me out, getting searched and all, but the lady was super nice and told me where the post office was in the airport so I mailed it back. Who knew snow globes were a threat to homeland security. They certainly are a threat to good taste, but they are still fun. Anyway, it took tons of extra time and money and had I bought it on the air side of McCarran, it would have been perfectly fine to fly with it in my backpack. Just one more reason to drive everywhere. Alas, the Silver brothers, Danny, 23 and Elijah, a soon to be high school senior, so like 17 or 18, can't drive to Rome, but that's where they are headed in this book. Their parents have tricked them into going on a vacation together to see the cities of Rome, Venice and Florence and to bond. Danny and Elijah don't seem to get along well or have anything on common. Danny is in advertising, a rising star in the business world, full or self-control and ambition. Elijah is a dreamer, pot-smoker, sweet heart of a guy with a best girl-friend, not girlfriend, with whom he plays the ...do you ever wonder...game each night as they contemplate the curious, beautiful mysteries of life together. Neither brother knows much about the other and they are dreading their time together. During the trip we see the complexities of brotherly relations from both sides. Throw into the mix a college drop out named Julia who is, well, I don't know, personally I think she's a jerk and a waste of time, and you have Are We There. I really loved this book but I don't know if teens would love it. Maybe. I'll have to ask some. I will defiantly read more from David Levithan. He is a gifted and insightful writer with fresh, thought-provoking ideas. This book almost made me wish I had a brother. Almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment