What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Much better, Mr. Woods

Stuart Woods's last Stone Barrington novel was ripped apart pretty much everywhere. But Lucid Intervals doesn't disappoint like Kisser did. I didn't hate Kisser as much as a lot of folks did, but even the grumpiest of reviews has to admit that Lucid is more like the Stone stories of years ago and less all sex and Knob Creek and dinner at Elaine's. Well, there is all of that too, but not as much and there's extra stuff, too- like a plot.
This is good old Stone at his best. There's not much Dino, but Dolce is back! The other recurring character featured in Lucid is Felicity Devonshire, the British intelligence agent. I have to say she is my least favorite of Stone's women, but I think that just goes to prove that Lucid is decent entertainment because even her snobbery and off-putting Briticisms couldn't keep me from enjoying this book. Also, Herbie Fisher offers some chuckles. I would encourage those disappointed by Kisser to give Woods and Stone another shot with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment