What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A lot to think about

Ask Me No Questions actually left me with a lot of questions. It is one of those books I want someone I know to read so that I can talk about it with them. Nadira is fourteen years old, from Bangladesh, living with her mom, dad and older sister Aisha who is a super student in Queens. They are living in the country illegally and have been for many years. They have been trying to become citizens but it's been one thing after another, including a lawyer who ripped them off and their money.
Now it is right after 9/11 and there are new crackdowns on immigration, especially people from Muslim countries. A lot of folks are going to Canada to ask for asylum. Nadira's family tries but instead they are turned away and her dad is jailed.
The book is short and I read it in one night because I really wanted to find out what happened to Nadira and her family. They are really sympathetic characters but life-like. The book doesn't paint them out to be put-upon victims, Nadira acknowledges that what she and her family have been doing is illegal. It is just a really complicated thing though, because the whole crackdown is racially motivated because of 9/11. I have no answers about the right and wrongness of the whole deal, but I have a lot of conflicting feelings and so I can't wait to find someone who has read it, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment