What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Now that I've quit smoking...

I felt that I could finally read When You Are Engulfed in Flames. Last summer when I went to the Minnesota State Fair I took a lot of books on cd with me, being that I was traveling alone. Again, I am a late-comer to what is big and hip and important and I had only heard of David Sedaris for the first time in early 2009 while listening to This American Life, which I had only heard of a little bit before that. How sad am I? But at least I am honest. I thought he was awesome and so I got some of his books on cd out from the library. There was one that I couldn't get though, and it was this one. I knew that I would be smoking all the way up through the UP, over to the fair, up to Grand Rapids, and the Judy Garland Museum and I knew I'd be smoking two to three packs a day. How then could I take along a cd that with Van Gogh's famous painting on the front of it and with a title like that? Wait, let me admit here that I had no clue it was Van Gogh's famous painting. I thought it, coupled with the book's title meant that there would be all of this scary anti-smoking content. I just couldn't do it. But now that I have been a non-smoker for eleven days thanks to White Cloud E-cigs I thought, "HOORAY!" more wonderfully funny stories from David Sedaris!
And what can I say? Yes they are. Listen to the whole thing, laugh out loud. This guy is a genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment