What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, May 17, 2010

Tween Time

Somtimes it is hard to find good books for tweens. Sometimes it is hard to define a tween even. I think they used to be called kids. But now kids age eight to twelve are tweens. I don't know anything about Lord of the Rings, but I read that Tolkien wrote that hobbits between that age of 20 and 32. Do I really care about this? Not really.
Northward to the Moon is a great book for tweens. Actually, it is a great book for anyone. I loved the cover and so I took it home. It sat around for awhile because the cover grabbed me in a different kind of way. It wasn't one of those covers shouting "READ ME READ ME READ ME!" , but it the faces of the girls looking out the back window of the station wagon on the empty road, with the big ole moon looming above, well they whispered, "Read me...read me...read me..." and so eventually, I did. And I am hip, hoppy happy that I did!
All of this reading sometimes gets me into a tizzy but this book was one of those slow down, enjoy the moments kind of book. I loved it. I am embarrassed to admit that I had never heard of Polly Horvath but I have heard of Everything on a Waffle, but I haven't read it. It won a Newbery. I will read it, even though I won.
The other thing that drew me into the book was the first page or so. We meet a step-dad who has just been fired from his position as a high school French teacher. The probable reason was the fact that he doesn't know to speak French.
As I read on I realized that this book is a sequel to My One Hundred Adventures which I just checked out of the library. My One has a HORRIBLE cover and I never would have picked it up so I am especially glad that I saw Northward first. Hooray for this book!
If it were a movie, I would call it a sleeper hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment