What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Yet another book that mentions Judy!!!!!!!!

After reading Creeping Darkness I wanted to read another Neal Shusterman book. I had forgotten that one of the short stories in Creeping was actually the start of the idea for Full Tilt. I don't even think I remembered when I picked Tilt up at the Coraoplis Memorial Library when I stopped to pick up a book for a friend on Saturday. I just remembered I wanted another Shusterman and there was Full Tilt, with a carinval photo on the cover, in all of it's fabulous 200 page glory! It seemed like the perfect choice.
The book features Blake, a bright 16 year old with an event that haunts him and his thrill-seeking brother Quinn. Quinn is always looking for the next big scare, the next big risk. One of his favorite things to do is tackle amusement park rides but even the ones that promise to be the most terrifying leave him cold. I feel that way about haunted attractions, though I do love them. More on that another time.
Blake gets an invite to a carnival rave- a secret amusement park accesible by invitation only. Quinn goes instead and gets trapped in the surreal park. Blake must survive seven rides- tailor made for him, based on his fears, in order to free his brother, himself and his two friends.
Tilt is very William Sleator-ish from years ago- Sleator's House of Stairs kept coming to mind as I read. But I mean that in a good way, because I love old school Sleator and Tilt is different enough from Sleator's stuff and fresh enough that it is definately not a copy cat.
You can give Tilt a quick read and enjoy its action and thrills or you can think about it as you go- and imagine- if you dare- what a ride based on your own fears would look and feel like.
It is probably hard for you to imagine how Judy was referenced in this book, but that just means you'll have to read it and find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment