What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Oh Rapsberry

One of the best and most memorable teen books I read this year was Money Hungry so I am not sure why it took me so long to get to the sequel, Begging for Change. This is my third Sharon Flake book of the year and I want to read everything that she's done before the year is out. Being that she lives in Pittsburgh, I hope that I'll get to meet her someday. I wonder if she is as cool in person as she seems to be via her books and website. I bet she is.
Begging continues the story of Raspberry, her momma and her friends. Rapsberry's drug addicted dad shows up in this book and the reader, like Raspberry, will want him to go away...yet feel for him as well.
Flake's books are quick reads but not because they are simple. They are quick reads because you fall in love with the characters and you want to find out what happens to them. Indeed, her books aren't simple at all. Raspberry still has her obsession with money, which leads her to theft and then guilt, and well, just read it and find out, but read Money Hungry first.

No comments:

Post a Comment