What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Please Mr. Postman

Like most people, I love it when I find a good book accidentally. Again I was stuck without a book to listen to in the car. I'm not at all into the radio unless it is old time radio theater and all of my music is on my itouch and it is never charged, and besides, I love listening to books on cd so when I don't have one I am lost. I never heard of The Mailbox or the author, but the beginning was so intriguing that I kept at it. I t is yet another foster kid story! But it doesn't really focus on life in a foster home because when we meet sixth grader, Gable, who goes by Gabe, the social worker has already placed him with his uncle Vernon and he's lived with him for years. Uncle Vernon is a Vietnam War vet, but we only learn about him when Gabe shares his memories of his uncle. You see, following the first day of sixth grade, Gabe comes home to discover that his uncle has died. He's so freaked out that he doesn't call the police or tell anyone! Then when he gets home the next day, his uncle's body is gone and an anonymous note is left in hid mailbox telling him to not be afraid. At first I was clueless as to where thus book was headed. I worried it would take a weird, supernatural twist like I am Not a Serial Killer did and I'd hate it. But it didn't. Instead it turned into this amazing and touching story of love and bravery and loyalty and war. The narrator, Nick Landrum, was the same guy who did Alabama Moon and so the book kinda reminded me of that one, but not just because of the narrator. This book was a complete surprise and even made me tear up, which NEVER happens. It made me glad to have my POW/MIA ribbon on my car. It made me really thankful for our servicemen and women. And it also made me mad about the way our Vietnam Vets were treated.
This book is really different, neat book that a tween or a teen or an adult would easily appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment