What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

The professor and Mary Ann

here on Gilligan's Isle! If the song said Gilligan's Isle, why wasn't the show titled the same thing? I can can see why the song doesn't say island, that just doesn't seem to fit. But why not name the show Isle? As you know, the character Mary Ann was played by Dawn Wells. She was my favorite of the ladies. Ginger was just too sleazy for my young sensitivities. I always wanted Mary Ann to get the guy. Any of the guys on the island or isle as it were. Well oddly enough, I am Not a Serial Killer is written by Dan Wells whose name is awfully close to that of Dawn Wells. They are probably no relation at all. In fact, the idea that they would be is so preposterous that I didn't even investigate it, but I certainly thought it was interesting enough to share, and in doing so, it allowed me to bring up the question of the Gilligan's Island theme song lyrics. All of which, is, I am sure, of great interest to you, gentle reader.
Now on to the book. I think I would have have loved this book so much more had I not been such a huge fan of Jeff Lindsay's Dexter series. I remember when I stumbled upon Darkly Dreaming Dexter in the new fiction section of the Bethel Park Library in 2004. As many people know the Dexter series of books has become a series on television. I have never seen it though. At first I think it was on Showtime and I didn't have it and now I think its on network tv now, too.
This isn't a bad book, but its just too much like Dex. John is a high school sophomore having trouble with accepting himself. Pretty normal for a high school kid except the part that John can't accept about himself is the fact that he is a sociopath on his way to becoming a serial killer. Like Dexter, he decides that he will try to make his love of violence to do some good. A serial killer is terrorizing his small town and he wants to kill him- instead of anyone else.
John calls his dark side The Monster. Dexter calls his The Dark Passenger. John lives in a mortuary and gets to see dead bodies that way. Dexter works for the police department analyzing blood spatter and the like. I don't know...it was all too much like Dexter, Jr. Still I thought it was well written and good. It is supposed to be a trilogy and I definately will read the others.
SPOILERS!!!
The only other thing that kinda bothered me was the the serial killer that John goes after turns out to be a monster. Like a real monster, a supernatural kind of thing. It just seemed to come from out of nowhere and well, it seemed like a bit of a copout or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment